In response to interest in engaging at-home environmental literacy and project-based learning resources, CELF has developed digital and outdoor learning resources for parents and families. Our first CELF Family Nature Challenge launched for families in the Houston, TX region in June 2020. CELF has since offered the Family Nature Challenge to local community groups, corporate partners and others looking for team building experiences.
Looking for worthwhile learning activities to build family connections in an outdoor setting? We invite you to join the Children’s Environmental Literacy Foundation Educator team for a meaningful, fun-filled Family Nature Challenge taking place across the country during two-week periods at various times throughout the year! The challenges are self-paced and allow schedule-flexibility for families.
How does the Family Nature Challenge work?
You will receive a weekly challenge, accompanied by thought-provoking mini-lessons, educational tools to enhance understanding, and local field experts who will share valuable environmental insights for the whole family. Each week ends with a live-streamed Show and Tell, designed to build community among families in your region!
Grade Level: K-8 & Parents
Connections to the Big Ideas of Sustainability:
What to Expect:
- Outdoor activities and exploration without having to go far from home
- Weekly Challenges tailored to the ecology of your geographic region
- Private storyboard pages to share and engage with a local community of families
- Whole family invitations to exclusive footage with local nature experts in, as well as live Challenge activities
- Guides and modeled examples for nature activities
- Introduction to key concepts of sustainability, including: place, community, and diversity
- Community building with like-minded families in your region via live streamed Show and Tell sessions
- Spend as much time outside as possible with your family with our flexible schedule of learning
- Less than 2 hours a week of screen time for this Challenge program
- Each family will earn a recognition badge for completing the Challenge!
Sample Family Nature Challenge Storyboard
- Scheduled in metro areas around the country: Online & Outdoors
- Two-week Challenge periods happening throughout the year
- Upcoming challenges are not currently open for registration. Please check back soon!
Corporate and Community Events! The Family Nature Challenge can be customized for community initiatives and corporate employee events! Please CONTACT US with inquiries regarding community and corporate programs.