Annual Summer Institute
Summer Institute Reimagined: The Big Ideas of Sustainability
THEME: The Big Ideas of Sustainability
Institute Overview: This 6-day (15 hour) online institute will focus on Education for Sustainability: an interdisciplinary learning lens for integrating the Big Ideas of Sustainability into your curriculum, campus and community.
Audience: K-12 Teachers, Administrators, Non-formal Educators
Full Group Virtual Learning and Facilitated Lesson Planning: Participant assignments are connected to project- and place-based learning; exploring sustainability as a dynamic system characterized by the interconnectedness of environment, equity and economy; identifying the skills, knowledge and values/attitudes that promote health and well-being of current and future generations.
Daily Schedule & Themes (Download Daily Schedule At-A-Glance)
July 7—Why Education for Sustainability?
July 8—Cultivating Earth Stewards
July 9— Big Ideas of Sustainability
July 14—Sustainable Economics & Systems Thinking
July 15—The Power of Place
July 16—The Ability to Make a Difference
Topics & Keynotes:
K-12 Education Sustainability Guest Speakers:
- Gain knowledge of educating for sustainability from a community of learners and field experts
- Redesign a lesson, unit or project implementation planner with the integration of the Big Ideas of Sustainability
- Engage with various digital platforms to leverage student interactions for remote learning
- Help students understand the causes and consequences of social equity through the lens of environmental justice
- Explore a systems thinking approach to understanding the impact of COVID-19
Daily activities, coaching, and lesson planning toolkit accessible through the CELF Summer Institute Google Site
- Defining Sustainability: Thinking about how sustainability has changed and what it means to you now.
- Connecting the Big Ideas of Sustainability to your teaching practices and classroom/virtual lessons
- CELF-facilitated lesson planning work time
Special Offer from Manhattanville College: Participants who complete this year’s Summer Institute: Big Ideas of Sustainability are eligible to receive a 50% tuition discount on the Education for Sustainability (EfS) Advanced Certificate offered through Manhattanville College School of Education.