From ½ day workshops to multi-year engagements, we have experience meeting a wide range of goals and expectations for teachers and school districts depending on need. Our three-tier system allows schools to tailor professional learning programs according to where they are on the path to sustainability.
Tier I: Introduction to Education for Sustainability (EFS)
Designed to implement sustainability initiatives and/or incorporate a sustainability unit or theme for the year. Can range from 1/2 day workshop to several hours of programming, curriculum-design time and co-teaching.
- Explore the principles and practices of Education for Sustainability
- Connect the Big Ideas of Sustainability to curriculum, campus, and community
- Leverage K-12 cross-disciplinary learning opportunities through EfS
- Learn from EfS Case Studies
Here are sample workshops that could be included in a Tier I program.
Tier II: Taking a Deeper Dive into EfS
Designed to reinvigorate existing sustainability initiatives and/or enhance specific curriculum and instruction goals through EfS. Usually a semester-long or full-year engagement with school or district.
- Initiate a specific school project (garden, makerspace, compost system, nature trail, etc.)
- Engage community stakeholders in sustainability initiatives
- Apply EfS principles and practices to support STEM, service-learning and other place-based learning opportunities
- Establish EfS team to foster collaborative change in school culture
- Infuse EfS into existing curriculum
Here are sample workshops that could be included in a Tier II program.
Tier III: Whole School Change
Commit to a school-wide approach embracing Education for Sustainability as an integrated context for learning across grade levels and subject areas, and in your learning community at large. This customized dynamic process begins with professional development workshop(s) and continues with on-site strategic visits, implementation support, and further professional development workshops as requested. CELF facilitators regularly engage in co-teaching EfS lessons in the classroom, partnering in school-wide professional development workshops, and aligning EfS standards to the school’s existing curriculum standards and priorities.
- Support design and integration of EfS in to current curriculum
- Advise on facility and campus changes and/or projects and create new learning opportunities
- Engage community stakeholders and strengthen partnerships in sustainability initiatives
- Coaching on instructional plans for change
- Ongoing curriculum and instruction support throughout the school year
- School/District team participation in the CELF Summer Institute
See Examples of Tier III/Whole School Transformation engagement with CELF